Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 2: Blog Post #1 - Readings on "The Art of Possibility" (Chapters 1-4)




First off, I want to say that I absolutely loved the TED video of Benjamin Zander.  He is an amazing speaker.  He definitely has a way of connecting to the audience and it shows within his writing, as well.  So far, it's been an easy read...

Chapter 1: It's All Invented 
I really liked how this chapter makes you think outside of the box.  Perception is definitely important when trying figure out the world around you and it's clear that everyone's "mind maps" are different because of their different life experiences.  It was actually inspirational when thinking about setting your mind free when extending mental boundaries by "enlarging the box," or framework, around situations... creating new opportunities.

Chapter 2: Stepping Into the Universe of Possibility
I love the name of this chapter.  There are so many things that hinder us from progress because we are held to certain expectations and limitations on a daily basis, but with this new outlook of "a universe of possibility," there are virtually no boundaries that could confine you.  Instead of setting a goal and doing all that you can to reach that goal, you generally layout a context and see what happens form there.

Chapter 3: Giving an A
I really liked the idea of "giving an A" as it being not an expectation to live up to, but a possibility to live in to.  The saying not only relieves certain pressures, but also inspires greatness.  There are no boundaries or restrictions.  There is no one looking down at you... comparing themselves to you.  There is only respect that allows others to grow and realize what is actually within themselves.


Chapter 4: Being a Contribution
The story of the starfish reminds me of my first few years of teaching.  I felt like there was always so much to do and there was never huge progress and growth made within the district, but as time went by it was more clear for me... I'm not teaching because I want the recognition.  I am teaching to help all that I can feel successful and make any sort of progress they can.  I am teaching to make a difference with that one starfish that might be thrown back because it makes a different to them, even if there are many others out there struggling to survive in education.

I am a contribution.  I make a difference and will continue to make a difference in each day that life brings me.



========================================================

SOURCES: 
Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. 

All pictures are from me personal collection

========================================================

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, doesn't the "Art of Possibility" relate to the struggles and obstacles that we face as educators? I enjoyed this reading so muchl. Chapter 2, about giving others an A, had the greatest overall impact on me, and it is what is I mostly discussed in my blog this week. The story of the starfish reminds me of the first few weeks of school every year (smile)! I enjoy this type of insight, and perspective. I am so sure that you are making the differences and the impacts that you desire for your students. Your choices to create these experiences for your students, allow them to learn what they came here to learn, and not be forced to view the world through your lens. You get a huge "A"!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I pulled out a lot of the same ideas when I did the reading. And I also really enjoyed the video. I thought he did a great job of talking with the audience and giving them real perspective as he spoke. When Ben Zander wrote about working with students who already have an A so you don’t have any preconceived notion of them I really thought that was great. I think that although teachers try not to categorize students they often do without knowing it. If we were to have all the students begin on the same level and really dig deep into their lives and understanding we could go beyond the normal relationships and learning and move to a place that is far better than anything we imagined. The ideas in this book lead us in the direction that will help make all of us better at what we do. I absolutely loved the story of the starfish. It was the perfect response of someone who is not going to give up just because the challenges that face us seem unending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your thoughts on each chapter. It was a good review of what I read and affirming to see that someone else thought along the same lines. I had the most connection with the chapter on being a contribution - but now that I'm reading your blog, I have some additional thoughts on the Giving an A chapter. I am immediately taken back to Beth Strudgeon's course. I was SO new at all of this stuff, and so worried about my "A" that I wasn't enjoying the process, or really even learning much because I was so freaked out by all the things I didn't know. When we started out her course, and were told "You have an A - just do the project and learn something in the process!" I remember the weight that lifted off my shoulders. And - HOW MUCH I LEARNED IN THAT COURSE! I'm trying now to figure out how to incorporate that "fearless learning" into my 3rd grade classroom. I would love to throw "grades" out the window, and I might get away with not having grades for 3rd graders, because they aren't terribly focused on grades just yet, so to make it work, I need to have parent buy-in. Oh yes, and Administration. So many hoops, so little time! :) I think it worthwhile though. Not having the pressure of the grade might make for more fearless learning, and fearless might just lead to meaningful and fulfilling. Both worth striving for!

    ReplyDelete